Generic Loestrin - 1.5/30
Generic Loestrin 1.5/30 is combination birth control pill containing a progesterone (norethindrone acetate) and an estrogen (ethinyl estradiol). It may be prescribed "off-label" to treat acne, premenstrual disorder with a state of unhappiness (PMDD) and irregular periods, among others. 28 pills per pack.
Please note: We cannot provide telemedicine for birth control in SC.
What Is Loestrin 1.5/30?
Loestrin 1.5/30 is a brand name birth control pill containing norethindrone acetate (1.5 mg) and ethinyl estradiol (0.03 mg). It is also sold under the names Microgestin 1.5/30, Junel 1.5/30, Larin 1.5/30, and Gildess 1.5/30.
It's a combination birth control because it contains two different hormones. It's subclassified as "mono-phasic" because the balance of active ingredients remain the same throughout the cycle.
Inactive pills taken during the last week of the menstrual cycle are reminders to support the habit of taking a pill daily.
How Does Loestrin Prevent Pregnancy?
Similar to other combination birth control pills, the active ingredients norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol prevent pregnancy in three ways:
- The main mechanic of action is to inhibit ovulation
- Next, the hormones norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol thicken cervical mucus making it difficult for sperm to reach the egg.
- Lastly, the pill inhibits the egg from attaching to the uterine lining.
What Are Off-label Uses For Loestrin 1.5/30?
- Treat absence of menstrual periods (Amenorrhea)
- Treat Acne in adults and children as young as 15
- Inhibit abnormally long or heavy periods (Menorrhagia)
- Help prevent disease of ovaries with cysts
- Reduce painful periods (Dysmenorrhea)
- Prevent abnormal bleeding from the uterus
- Treat PMDD
To ensure that we provide you with the best price, we may substitute one generic for another.
Refer to the patient pamphlet for complete medication information.
Who should not take Generic Loestrin 1.5/30:
- Women who are pregnant, who are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed
Possible side effects of Generic Loestrin 1.5/30 include
- Fluid retention
- Breast tenderness
- Weight change
- Vaginal bleeding between periods (spotting) or missed/irregular periods may occur especially during the first few months of use. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. If you miss 2 periods in a row (or 1 period if the pill has not been used properly), contact your doctor for a pregnancy test.
No contraceptive method is 100% effective. Birth control methods such as having surgery to become sterile or not having sex are more effective than birth control pills. Discuss your options for birth control with your doctor.
This birth control medication does not protect against HIV infection or other sexually transmitted diseases. It will not help as emergency contraception, such as after unprotected sexual contact.
Please consult your doctor before starting any exercise, nutritional supplement program, and/or any prescription or OTC product during pregnancy or if you have a serious medical condition.